Thursday, October 22, 2009

Nicknames

Nicknames!
I just realized... I love them!
I surely didn't used to...
remember in school the meany-pants kids who figured out a way to taunt you using your NAME, OF ALL THINGS! I mean this is the lowest... come on, a person's name?! Tease me about my horrible hair, my non-name brand jeans, or the fact that I tripped over nothing! But my name?! I can't do anything about that! My parents picked it! And secretly, I like it! But, I had nothing to do with it! And it won't be forgotten tomorrow like the tripping thing!
I remember vividly 'the incident' in grade school when my name came under attack by the cute, popular (MEAN) boy in school. My middle name is Nichole and my parents nicknamed me Nicki as a baby. So this is what I went by. On the day I was the lucky one to be picked on, he called me... Icky Nicki. Noooooooo... but then I remembered! I have another name! Ha! I replied, It isn't my real name! My name is Adrian! Ha! But the Name-Taunter has a talent. He can rhyme with almost anything!!! If only my name was Orange...
Anyway, he triumphantly, retorts with... Adrian the Alien.
Oh no...
Ah, well...
I like the quote about childhood being what you spend the rest of your life getting over. True story.

And now, years later,
I love nicknames! And I am a Nick-Namer!
I shower my children with nicknames, a new one falls from my lips without warning, almost every day!
Sickening example: When Nate was born, we baby-talked to him. Frightening, isn't it? Have you heard people or yourself talk like this? It is very... laughable. But in the privacy of our own home we did baby-talk to him. There. Confessed. So, 'Nathan' became 'Naffin', which then became 'Finners.' Cute, huh?!! Ha!
Then when we named our second son, Jacob, he had an uncle already nicknamed Jake, so I started calling our baby 'Cub', 'Cubbie,' which becomes
'Cubbie Wubbie was a Bear!'
Nicknames that fly around our house:
Cookie, Jammie, JellyBean, Zoobah, Macky, Natey, Tater, Punkin head,
La-la, Pheebs.
Good stuff, huh!
And the best ones of late:
Ciabatta and Wasabi!
HA-HA!

Wanna share your nicknames???


6 comments:

Tess Cormell said...

I'M A NICKNAMER TOO!

MY NIECES AND NEPHEWS: MONKEY BUTT, FART FACE AND BOOGER BREATH--SOMETIMES JUST SHORTENED TO BOOGER AND MONKEY. AND STINKY! wow, just realized how mean ALL of those are!

TINY FOR PRETTY MUCH ALL THE KIDS IN MY LIFE.

MY DOG JACKSON: J-DOG, JAY, JACKS, AND YES, JACKASS (but only because it is hilarious that it actually comes when i call him that) AND FOR SADIE: SADE, SADDERS, SADIE LADY, BOOBERS, AND BOO. AND STINKY GOES FOR BOTH OF THEM TOO!

I HAVE ALWAYS CALLED MY SISTER LAURA, LO. I CALL MY COUSIN JESSIE, KIPPER (because she likes kipper snacks) AND MY GODSON DAIMON, D.

MY NICKNAMES FOR ANIMALS AT THE FARM BECOME THEIR ACTUAL NAMES. PIGLET AND GATOR ARE TWO . . . COWS!

THE MORE I LOVE YOU, THE MORE NICKNAMES YOU HAVE--AND APPARENTLY, THE MEANER!

B.D.Riehl said...

You are so cute ;) My mom asks me all the time (any time you are mentioned, on fact) if you still call Jacob Cubbie :) For our house: Raegan Poopie Pants, Rae Face. Rague. Bub. Pooper. Harper Darper. Darps. Harper Farty Pants. Harps. Harpsachord. Stinker. Smoocher. Bear. Mrs. Grumpus Pants. Face. Rae. Fo....

Amber said...

well my dad has always come up with some interesting ones for me such as Mario AMBERety, AMBER-one-canobie, and now to this day and for years now he calls me Hamburger. To most though its Ambe. My kids Anna-Bear thanks to you,or baby bear and Isaac is monkey or wild man, or Isaac bo bisaac or my uncle calls him axel rod. The things we come up with. Missing you!

Vicki Banta said...

Super cute post! I finally had time to catch up on everyone's blogs!
Yes I too was icky Vicki. When I got to Middle school it just got down right perverse. It never really bothered me because anytime a boy was mean to me my mom would say "oh he just likes you". And anytime a girl was mean to me she said "oh she's just jealous". Now you know why I need so much help!! Maybe I should make an appointment with a therapist today!! Ha Ha
Love you and hope to see you soon.

The Diehlsters said...

What confuses me constantly is that Wayne calls both Beth and Bekah "Cheesy". When they call I never know who he is talking to. They also have the nicknames of Curly Sue (Bekah) and Burp or Peach Fuzz (Beth). Jessie is Lil Rosie, JR and Spud. Joel is Fuzzy Duck. Oliver is Ollie-kazaam. Tucker is Tooker-M-ma-bobbie.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy thought he was Peter Pan when he was 5 so when Alexandria was born, he nicknamed her Princess Tigerlilly (a name she lives up to). Then years later when Cynthia was born, he named her Wendybird. I've called them by their nicknames since they were babies and they're 23,18 &15. tee hee
~paj