Sunday, November 22, 2009

Getting a picture of Nate



Worth it?
Yes. 
However, I think I may have called him a ... something at one point. And had to threaten to have Dad hold him. But there it is.
He went to the store with John and Jacob Saturday, and found his new hat.
Put back a new Wii game to get the hat.
Interesting.

Speaking of Nate, John and I went to his junior high dance Friday night as chaperons. (This is the spelling Spell Check gave me, but it looks weird to me!? OK, I looked it up and that is right, and here is the definition just for fun: any adult present in order to maintain order or propriety at an activity of young people, as at a school dance.


Yes, we were there "to maintain order or propriety" and believe me, it was... interesting. I leaned over and yelled in John's ear at one point, "The girls are not coming to one of these. Ever."
You can hold me to that in about ...4 years, when Ellie is in junior high. Or at least, as I begin to recognize the possible naivety of laying down a law 4 years early, at the very least we will most definitely not have to be asked to chaperon, we will be there.

ANYWAY...
I watched my baby, my firstborn son, dance with a girl, slow dance. Can't really explain how I felt. Surprised, relieved, sad, happy, upset stomach, not really an upset stomach but a definite tightening in my gut. 
So, yah, watching your children grow up, while wonderful, is also hard.

5 comments:

Chris D. said...

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! Dances already? I think I'm hyperventilating just reading this. Find my happy place, find my happy place.:o) So glad you all survived.

Bwynnie said...

Oh my! That's all I have to say about that...Oh My, oh my, oh my!!!!
(by the way: Nate, I love the hat!)

Vicki Banta said...

I hear you screaming sister! Love ya!

Amber said...

Love Nate's new hat, it couldn't be more fitting to his personality. Oh the memories of junior high dances....don't miss them but not looking forward to having my kids go to them. The bitter-sweet joys of parenting.

Amber said...

That feeling you were having...in your gut...it was just gas.

Mike