Sunday, March 8, 2009

More cooking....

I have a new-found desire and enjoyment in cooking. This morning I made these Oat Cinnamon Scones (would have been perfect with some glaze or whipped cream....just now thought of that). But I have been wanting to make 'scones' for some time, any kind, I tried some out on our poor Mcfam when they were here @ Christmas, but they weren't very good. But today's were very tasty! :)
Recipe:
Preheat oven to 400*.
Combine 1 C flour, 1 C rolled oats, 1/4 C brown sugar, 2 teaspoons baking powder, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.
Cut in w/ pastry blender 1/2 C cold butter or margarine until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
(Optional stir in dried fruit at this point)
Add 1/2 C milk; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened.
Turn dough onto lightly floured surface; knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out dough onto 13" baking stone into 9" circle, about 1/2 inch thick. Cut into wedges; separate slightly.
Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.
Bake 15-17 minutes or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Delish!!!

And....drum roll please....(believe me these are worthy of it!)
MOLTEN CHOCOLATE MINI CAKES
Preheat oven to 400*.
Generously spray wells of Silicone Floral Cupcake Pan w/ nonstick cooking spray. (wipe excess cooking spray from top surface of pan)
Coarsely chop 6 oz fine bittersweet chocolate (60% cocoa). Combine chocolate and 1/2 C butter (DO NOT substitute); microwave on high 1-2 minutes or until chocolate is melted and mixture is smooth, stirring after every 30 second interval. Remove from microwave; cool 5 minutes.
Whisk 3 whole eggs and 3 egg yolks into chocolate mixture. Add 1 and 1/2 C powered sugar and 3/4 C all-purpose flour; mix just until dry ingredients are incorporated.
Divide batter equally among cupcake pan wells (using slightly mounded PC Large Scoop).
Bake 13-14 minutes or until outside edges are set and center is still liquid. (Cracks will appear wet. Do Not Overbake)
Remove pan from oven; immediately, carefully, invert onto large platter. Gently press on tops and sides of wells to loosen. Slowly lift pan, checking to see that all cakes have released. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Serve warm.......WOW.
Even the next day these are YUM!

2 comments:

B.D.Riehl said...

Oh, yum! I can't wait to try these. Scones - how brave!!! I tried once and mine weren't very good. I do have a yummy, lowfat biscotti recipe that's super easy, though. I'll have to share with you one day. So glad you have cooking as an outlet; it's a good one:)

Amber said...

I can only hope that the enjoyment of cooking will find me. My grandmother is one of the best cooks I know and that seemed to skip my mother and hasn't had much of an effect on me. But the scones I think I can make easily enough. They both look yummy!