Monday, October 27, 2008

What are we looking for?

In second Peter 3:14, which is where my devotional sent me, it starts with, "Therefore, beloved, since you look for these things," and I read through to verse 18 a couple of times before I realized, whoa...since I look for WHAT THINGS? (as our Boise church pastor always said, you gotta find out what is the therefore there for? )Backing up to verse 11, "Since all these things are to be destroyed in this way, (see vs10, the heavens and the earth will be destroyed with intense heat) what sort of people are you to be in holy conduct and godliness, looking for and hastening (wow, we are to be not just looking for, but hastening?!) the coming of the day of God on account of which the heavens will be destroyed by burning and the elements will melt with intense heat! (is that the 'why'? We are to be looking for and hastening the day of God, BECAUSE everything is going to burn...that is thought provoking) But according to His promise we are looking for new heavens and a new earth, in which righteousness dwells. (aaaah, there it is, a new heaven and new earth, where righteousness dwells... now that sounds beyond wonderful, doesn't it...) (now to where we started, verse 14) Therefore, beloved, (don't you love being called, beloved? I do!) since you look for these things, (a new heaven and a new earth, and the day of God, in reverse of course:) be diligent( this is my prayer of late, Lord, make me diligent) to be found by Him in peace( Yes, Lord, may it be), spotless and blameless, (glory to You, Lord) and regard the patience of our Lord to be salvation(amen, so we are looking for it but also trusting and rejoicing in His patience because it means salvation, Hallelujah!); (and verse 17) You therefore, beloved, (there it is again, I love it!) be on your guard (sounds like diligence again, eh? got it.) lest, being carried away by the error of unprincipled men, you fall from your own steadfastness, (there is the warning, and here comes the encouragement...) but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory, both now and to the day of eternity. Amen

Sweet Friends and Family, we love you! May we not be carried away, but grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ . I pray we would be looking for the day of God, diligent to be found by Him in peace, knowing in our hearts that in Him we are spotless and blameless. Let us be looking forward to the new heaven and the new earth!!
Have a great week! Love, love, love!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you:) You're an encouraging woman, beloved!

Vicki Banta said...

Thank you my sweet! I love to think about HIS return. But, I must remember to be diligent while I wait. Whistle while we work....

Bwynnie said...

Thank you for sharing this. You are precious and God has given you wisdom. To God be the Glory!