Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Puppy Love

I have to admit it...

I am basically a city girl. However, I do daydream about having a bit of a farm, some chickens, even in a daring moment, a cow? But on some level I worry about what all that would entail...could I handle it? My husband lets me off the hook though, b/c he is in no way up for any type of farm, except a garden, and children, and pups. So. Good.
I have a fairly weak constitution, so the thought of dogs in heat and puppies and puppy-poopy, etc., etc., makes me leery. Add to that my being less than the typical animal lover, its not that I don't love them its just that I don't LOVE them. So its all not as easy for me, it doesn't come naturally, I have to not think about being grossed out, or whatever, by what needs to be done. At least motherhood has given me some progress, self-sacrifice, unpleasant but necessary duties, acts of love.

All that to say,
in spite of my tendencies, I enjoyed puppy-sitting! It was sweet to sit on the floor, on/near the dog bed, helping mama dog lie down and get situated and helping puppies latch on and have their fill. And loving it. Admiring Mama Mya and watching, listening to, helping the pups suckle. Listening to Mya snore while her pups nursed and then watching in wonder as she bathed each of them thoroughly.
Maybe I could do this someday....
:)

1 comment:

John Mac said...

I love to hear about you connecting with the mother in Mya! I know she's just a dog and it's all instinct, but it's sweet to see her care for her babies.